Monday, November 16, 2009

Marketing. It's what I want to do.

Oh how I wish it was this easy.


I'm only a sophomore, true. But knowing what I want to do with my life hangs over me everyday. Everywhere I go I feel like I need to figure out what my future holds. I get asked everyday what I want to do with my life. My professors ramble on about the best careers to have in this economy. I even dream about what my future will hold after college. These two years have gone by so fast, it almost frightens me. Life after college? Not a fun thought!

Today at Pi Phi we had a lady come from the Career Services Center to talk to us about what they offer, which is amazing by the way. Resume writing, interview training, mentors, they have it all! But this whole presentation got me thinking...I have two years until I graduate. Which means I need to have set in stone what I want to do...like...now. I mean, if I change my mind on my major I think I'll add at least another year and a half on to schooling. I've concentrated so much on the business school requirements that it left me no room for classes outside the assigned pre-business plan. And I'm just now realizing that I better be sure this is the path I want to take.

In high school I was more then obsessed with being involved in school. I think I was a member of almost every club offered at TVHS. In the end, it proved to pay off. DECA, an association of marketing students, became a major passion of mine and drove me to study marketing in college. It's funny that I joined the club for the free trip to New York, where we got to tour the most amazing marketing companies in the city. I never would have guessed that DECA would do to me what it did. I even became a Colorado State Officer where I was given the opportunity to work with over 6,000 DECA students across the state. DECA enabled me to grow and learn something I loved. Learning the principals of marketing and competing in marketing competitions became a passion. Better yet, it became my future. I couldn't study marketing enough. Time would fly by as I learned concepts and studied people, what would sell to who. Marketing enabled me to be organized and imaginative at the same time. I could express my thinking and creativity skills. I could sell products without having to talk to a single person. Advertising instantly became my goal. It's funny how much a club in high school can mold you. Without DECA, I doubt the marketing field would have ever entered my mind. I am so thankful for the opportunity to learn and grow with DECA. Looking back, it shaped my entire life into what it is today. What I aim for in college.

The Colorado State DECA Officers

I love the business classes. Foundations of Business Thought, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, IS, etc. I love them all. I really do think this is the field I want to go into. And what helped most? I took a survey online from the Career Services Center that is supposed to tell you what you would do best in with your personality. Guess what the answer came to be? Marketing. It may sound silly, but I was just looking for reassurance that this is the right thing to do. Then again, I can't see myself doing anything but this for the rest of my life. I want a career I'm proud of. A career I enjoy and believe in. For me, it's marketing.

I'm feeling a lot better about this whole figuring out my life thing. Which is such a relief. I can finally breathe and enjoy the adventure of learning all I can about marketing. Hopefully one day, I'll have a big office in an advertising agency. I guess I have awhile until that day comes. :)

2 comments:

drew said...

all the cool kids do marketing...

Blogger said...

Need To Boost Your ClickBank Traffic And Commissions?

Bannerizer made it easy for you to promote ClickBank products by banners, simply go to Bannerizer, and grab the banner codes for your picked ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator to promote all of the available ClickBank products.